The Busan plant produces the SM3, SM5 and SM7 sedans as well as the latest addition to the range, the crossover QM5. A cross between a 4x4, a sedan and an MPV, QM5 was launched in Korea in November 2007. Part of the production is exported to other markets, under the name Renault Koleos.
QM5 illustrates the Group’s ability to pool its expertise. Produced by Renault Samsung Motors, it was designed by Renault and developed by Nissan.
South Korea in brief (2009 figures):
Area: 99,274 km²
Population: 49 million
GDP: US$ 969,795 million
Roads: 87,534 km
Key figures for Renault Samsung Motors (2009):
- Company owned 80.1% by Renault and 19.9% by Samsung.
- 5,548 employees or 4.6% of the total Group headcount.
- 189,897 vehicles produced, or 8.4% of total Group output.
- 136,467 vehicles sold, or 5.9% of total Group sales.
- 10.8% market share in South Korea.
- 191 sales outlets in South Korea.