Tip n°1 : Improve your gearshifts
- Shift down at approximately 1,000rpm
- Shift up to the next gear at apporximately 2,000rpm in diesel vehicles and at 2,400rpm in a petrol engine
> At 50kph, you should already be in fourth or fitth gear.
Tip n°2 : Drive smoothly
- Maintain a steady speed as soon as possible (from 40kph)
- Brake with the engine and use your foot brake as little as possible. Allowing the vehicle to slow naturally helps to cut the fuel flow
> At 50kph in fifth gear, lift off the accelerator 100 metres before a red light.
Tip n°3 : Thing about how you accelerate
- Up to 50kph, it is preferable to accelerate briskly up to fifth gear
- At speeds in excess of 50kph, acceleration should be restrained
> Change gear very swiftly up to fitfh gear.
Tip n°4 : Climbs and descents
- Keep to the same speed when going down a hill
- On an uphill gradient, let the car shed speed, but without becoming obstructing other
road-users. If possible, maintain your vehicle at a steady speed above 40kph
> Use descents to take your foot off the accelerator.
Tip n°5 : USe your motor smartly
- Turn off your engine if you stop for more than 30 seconds
- Do not preheat your engine even in winter
> Pull away as soon as the engine has fired up.
Tip n°6 : Treat your vehicle well
- Check tyre pressures every month
- If you have to use the air conditioning, make sure the difference between the temperatures inside your vehicle and outside is not too great
- Do not leave any unnecessary loads in your vehicle
- Remove roof bars and roof boxes when not in use
> Proper servicing and proper use of your vehicle are as important as eco-driving.